Co-op & Condo Tax Abatement – New Rules


In New York City, real estate taxes are an important part of the value, and it seems the rules are about the change.

According to Jerry Feeney, Residential Real Estate Attorney   the following is a summary of the changes.  As always, it is important to see qualified advice when dealing with legal and tax matters.


  • Primary Residence:  The apartment must be the owner’s primary residence to be eligible for the abatement, and parking spaces and storage units are excluded.  This important change is effective July 1, 2014.  Non-residents who received the abatement in 2011/2012 will see the abatement phase out in 2012/2013 and 2013/2014.  By 2014/2015 the abatement will be completely phased out for non-residents.
  • Multiple unit ownership:  Ownership of 4 or more units in the same building disqualifies the owner from any abatement, regardless of whether one of them is a primary residence.   If one owner owns 3 or fewer units, and one is the primary residence, the abatement will apply to all of the units.  If none of the three units are owner occupied, none will get the abatement.
  • Other Exemption/Abatement programs:  This change in the law will not affect other real estate tax relief programs, but recipients of certain relief programs are ineligible for the co-op/condo abatement, without regarding primary residence status.  These programs are (a) J51, (b) 420c and 421a, b, and g. (c) HFDC, (d) DAMP, (e) Mitchell-Lama, and (e) clergy.  Personal exemptions, however, will have no impact on the receipt of the co-op/condo abatement.  Examples of these programs are:  (a) STAR, (b) disabled homeowner, (c) senior citizen, and (d) veterans
  • Trusts:  In determining principal residence for a unit owned by a trust, NYC Finance requires that the unit is the principal residence of the beneficiary of the trust, trustee, or in the case of a life estate, the life estate holder.


This post is provided as informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal, accounting or tax advice by the RealEstateGeezer. You should seek advice from a qualified professional.


Information provided by Jerry M Feeney, Residential Real Estate Law 


Comments are closed.